Written By John Sparks
Want to make big bucks? You’ll do it if you’re branding yourself properly on social media.
Branding means creating the “right kind” of emotional response you want people to have when they hear your name, see you online, or meet you in person.
It’s a good idea to try to make this emotional response uniform and consistent wherever possible.
Here’s 10 tips to help you start Branding with Social Media:
1) Set a timer for five minutes. Make a list of nouns and adjectives which best describe you.
2) Circle ten of the words you consider to be most memorable.
3) Go back through your list. Narrow it down to five words. Choose carefully. Pick words others would use to search for you online. These are the words which matter most.
4) Use these keywords to write your professional headline on LinkedIn. Make sure the headline includes a “call to action”. A call to action is how you want to engage others who are visiting your site. Examples include: “Let’s Connect!” or “Let’s Find You the Perfect Product!”
5) Copy and paste the professional headline. Use the same headline as your Twitter bio, the “introduction” section in Google+, Pinterest profile, and other social media sites.
6) Develop your name into a brand. This will take a little work. Start with Twitter. Create a handle for your personal twitter account which uses your name as part of it. Make sure it isn’t taken by someone else. Write it down. Don’t change it yet!
7) Do a domain search for the same handle name. Make sure you can buy the dot.com address. While you are at it, check Facebook, LinkedIn, and gplus.to for the same vanity names. Make sure they are not taken on these websites.
8) After you’ve found your name: change your twitter handle, buy the website, change your Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ address, and URLs on your other social media sites.
9) Re-print your business cards to show your new social sites. The “Big 4” sites to include on your business card are: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. Check out my Linkedin Tips: 10 Tips to Create Better Business Cards and Market Your Linkedin Profile.
10) Change your email signature. Include the “Big 4” social media URLs in your signature. Also include the URLs in three separate places on your LinkedIn profile: the contact info section, the end of your summary, and at the bottom of your profile under “Additional info, Advice for contacting”.
What other suggestions do you have when it comes to Branding with Social Media? Speak Your Mind in our comment section below.